University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Professor and Chair, Surgery
- Chief, Liver and Pancreas Transplantation
- Director, Dumont-UCLA Liver Cancer Center, Liver and Pancreas Transplantation
- Physician and Director, Hand Transplantation, Intestinal Transplantation, Pediatric Gastroenterology, Liver, and Pancreas Transplantation, Pfleger Liver Institute
- M.D., Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1971
- Ph.D., Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana
- General Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, 1977
- Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, 1977
- American Board of Surgery
Hospital Affiliations/Admitting Privileges
- University of California, Los Angeles
Dr. Busuttil is Distinguished Professor and Executive Chairman of the UCLA Department of Surgery. He is internationally recognized for his expertise and advancements in the field of transplantation surgery. He has dedicated much of his career to training medical students, residents, and surgical fellows and his training program in liver transplantation has been deemed the best in the world.
After receiving his medical degree from Tulane University, Dr. Busuttil served his surgical residency at UCLA under Dr. William Longmire and trained in transplantation with Dr. Thomas Starzl at the University of Pittsburgh. He has been on the Department of Surgery team at UCLA since 1978. In 1984 he established UCLA’s renowned Liver Transplant Program.
Additionally, Dr. Busuttil is the reviewer on many journal editorial boards and is co-editor of the textbook, ‘Transplantation of the Liver’, now in its second edition He has written over 55 book chapters, 400 abstracts and 600 peer-reviewed scientific publications.
Dr. Busuttil was the Co-Chairman of the International Congress on Immuno-suppression and also holds the position of President-elect for the American Society of Transplant Surgeons. He is also a member of numerous national and international surgical and transplant societies.
Dr. Ronald Busuttil has been the recipient of many awards. Most recently, he was awarded the American Society of Transplant Surgeons Francis Moore Excellence in Mentorship in Transplantation Surgery Award and the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, the Department of Surgery, and the Thomas E. Starzl Transplantation Institute presented the 2011 Thomas E. Starzl Prize in Surgery and Immunology to Dr. Busuttil in recognition of his outstanding clinical and scientific achievements.Complete Medical Advisory Board List