- David J. Carver Emeritus Professor of Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- M.D., University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, Missouri, 1969
- Internal Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, 1970
- Internal Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, 1973
- Cardiovascular Medicine, The American Heart Association and Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, 1973
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease
& Admitting Privileges
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital
For 25 years, Dr. Stephen Achuff served as the director of Adult Cardiology Clinical Programs at The Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. Since 1975, Dr. Achuff has also served as the David J. Carver Professor of Medicine at The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He is now the David J. Carver Emeritus Professor of Medicine.
After completing his internship and residency at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Dr. Achuff served as a research fellow with the American Heart Association in the cardiovascular division of the department of medicine at Hopkins. He also worked as a research fellow and honorary senior registrar in the department of cardiology at the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh, Scotland. Following this, he was appointed assistant director of the Adult Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory and chief cardiologist of the Lipid Research Clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Dr. Achuff is a member of the Maryland Society of Cardiology, where he served on the executive board for eight years. He has also acted as a representative of Maryland to the Board of Governors of the American College of Cardiology, of which he is a fellow.
Dr. Achuff’s research interests have included developing a readership that is awarded to young clinicians with a long term interest in clinical medicine. Prior to this he has published over 50 articles in many peer-reviewed journals such as the New England Journal of Medicine, The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, Journal of Heart and LungComplete Medical Advisory Board List