Medical Advisory Board
Amar Gajjar, M.D.
Dr. Gajjar accepted an appointment as a Fellow in the Department of Hematology/Oncology at St. Jude Children’s Research Center in 1989, and a subsequent fellowship in the Division of Neuro-oncology in 1992. He became an Assistant Member of the Department of Hematology/Oncology in 1993, a full Member in 2004, and Director of the Division of Neuro-oncology in 2002. He also co-chairs the department of oncology and is the co-leader of the Neurobiology and Brain Tumor program.
Dr. Gajjar is principal or co-principal investigator in several innovative clinical trials of new treatments for a variety of brain tumors, especially medulloblastoma. Dr. Gajjar has been instrumental in the growth of the neuro-oncology program at St. Jude and was instrumental in developing an international collaboration with other leading institutions in the United States and Australia. Dr. Gajjar has been the driving force behind the current brain tumor translational research program at St. Jude.
He is co-author of over 85 papers, many of which have contributed to the improved clinical care of children with medulloblastoma. Dr. Gajjar has been invited to speak at many national and international meetings. He is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Society of Clinical Oncology and American Society of Hematology. He is also an Ad Hoc reviewer for many journals including Journal of Clinical Oncology, Cancer and Human Gene Therapy.
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee
- Member, St. Jude Faculty
- Scott and Tracie Hamilton Endowed Chair in Brain Tumor Research
- Co-Chair, Department of Oncology
- Director, Neuro-Oncology Division
- Co-Leader, Neurobiology & Brain Tumor Program
- M.D., Grant Medical College, J.J. Group of Hospitals, Bombay, India, 1982
- Pediatrics, University of South Florida, All Children’s Hospital, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1988
- Hematology-Oncology, St. Jude Children’s Research Center, Memphis, Tennessee, 1993
- American Board of Pediatrics
- American Board of Pediatrics, Hematology-Oncology
& Admitting Privileges
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital