Medical Advisory Board
Bert W. O’Malley, Jr., M.D.
Recently, Dr. O’Malley was inducted into the American Laryngologic Association and into the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Dr. O’Malley is an active member of several professional societies including; American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, American Society of Gravitational and Space Biology, Maryland Society of Otolaryngology, Cell Transplant Society, International College of Surgeons, American College of Surgeons, American Head and Neck Society.
He earned his medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. His post-doctoral training started with a General Surgery residency at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, Texas. He served his Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery residency at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, and then completed his fellowship in Head and Neck Oncology and Cranial Base Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania.
Prior to his academic and research pursuits at the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. O’Malley is credited with developing the Head and Neck Oncology Research Program and laboratory within the Head and Neck Cancer Center at the University of Maryland. He was also successful in establishing the Center for Voice, Swallowing and Esophageal Disorders and the Center for Skull Base Surgery at University of Maryland Medical System.
Dr. O’Malley lectures frequently on head and neck and minimally invasive skull base surgery techniques and therapies, both nationally and internationally. He has also recently founded the nation’s first Robotics Surgery Program for patients with head and neck and skull base tumors. Regarding his academic achievements, Dr. O’Malley is the editor for a textbook in skull base surgery and has authored or co-authored over 75 scientific journal articles and more than 20 textbook chapters. He currently holds numerous editorial positions and is a reviewer for six scientific journals including: Cancer Research, Nature Medicine and Oncology. He is the Editor-in Chief of the ORL, Journal of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology and sits on the editorial board for Laryngoscope and Acta Oto-Laryngologica.
University of Pennsylvania Health System, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Chair, Department of Otorhinolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Co-Director, Head and Neck Cancer Center
- Director, Penn Otolaryngology Residency Program
Gabriel Tucker Professor of Otorhinolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- Professor of Otorhinolaryngology in Neurosurgery
- Professor of Radiation Oncology
- M.D., University of Texas South Western Medical School, Dallas, Texas, 1988
- General Surgery, University of Texas South Western Medical School Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, Texas, 1990
- Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, 1994
- Head and Neck Oncology/Cranial Based Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, 1995
- American Board of Otolaryngology
& Admitting Privileges
- University of Pennsylvania Health System