Medical Advisory Board
Douglas A. Drossman, M.D.
Dr. Drossman is a board certified gastroenterologist with over 35 years of medical experience and is considered an authority in the field of functional GI disorders and physician-patient communication. Dr. Drossman has a special interest in the research and treatment of difficult to diagnose gastroenterology disorders including irritable bowel syndrome. He has over 400 publications, including 2 books and numerous peer-reviewed research articles and abstracts in relation to the epidemiology, treatment design, and outcomes of research of gastroenterology disorders.
Dr. Drossman also helps to facilitate the learning and education of medical students, residents, fellows, and medical faculty with a holistic biopsychosocial approach to the care of patients with functional gastroenterology disorders. Dr. Drossman has been recognized for his educational efforts and received the AGA Distinguished Educator Award for achievements as an outstanding educator over a lifelong career.
- Former Co-Director, University of North Carolina Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Adjunct Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry, UNC
- Advisor, UNC Center of Functional GI and Motility Disorders
- Founder and CEO, Drossman Gastroenterology, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- President, Rome Foundation
M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, 1970
Internal Medicine, University of North Carolina, North Carolina Memorial Hospital, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1972
Internal Medicine, New York Unviersity, Bellevue Medical Center, New York, New York, 1973
- Psychosomatic Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, 1976
- Gastroenterology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, 1978
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Board of Gastroenterology
Hospital Affiliations & Admitting Privileges
University of North Carolina Health System