Peter R. Carroll, M.D.
Dr. Carroll is a board-certified urologist specializing in minimally invasive surgery for urologic cancers. He has practiced at UCSF for over 20 years. Dr. Carroll was instrumental in the organization of the Urologic Oncology Service, one of the busiest multidisciplinary programs at UCSF. He is the chair of the Department of Urology at UCSF and director of Clinical Services and Strategic Planning at the Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center. His area of clinical interest includes the treatment of prostate, bladder and kidney cancer, innovative methods of urinary tract reconstruction, and the impact of early cancer detection and treatment on quality of life.
In addition to having written or co-authored over 500 publications, Dr. Carroll also serves as the associate editor of the Journal of Urology. He is currently the principal or co-investigator of several research studies including the NIH-supported UCSF Prostate Cancer SPORE study and the Molecular Effects of Nutritional Supplements prostate study. Hi research interests also include the development of biomarkers to predict risk for major urologic cancers.
Dr. Carroll has won several academic and research awards. In 2010 he was the recipient of the American Urological Association’s Eugene Fuller Triennial Prostate Award. He is an active member of many professional medical societies, including the American Urological Association, the American College of Surgeons and the American Association for Cancer Research.
- Professor and Chair, Urology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California
- Ken and Donna Derr-Chevron Distinguished Professor, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California
- M.D., Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, D.C., 1979
- M.P.H., University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California, 2008
- Surgery, University of California San Francisco, 1981
- Urology, University of California San Francisco, 1984
Urologic Oncology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, 1986
American Board of Urology
Hospital Affiliations & Admitting Privileges
University of California, San Francisco