Medical Advisory Board
Richard A. Jonas, M.D.
Dr. Richard Jonas is world-renowned for his contributions to the field of pediatric cardiovascular surgery. Particularly, he has made great strides in the advancement of corrective surgery and optimizing outcomes of patients after surgery for congenital heart disease. He has been nationally recognized for his roles as Editor of the Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Annual, Secretary and Treasurer of the Congenital Heart Surgeons Society and the President of the American Association of Thoracic Surgery.
Before joining Children’s National Medical Center, Dr. Jonas was Professor of Child Surgery at Harvard Medical School and Cardiovascular Surgeon-in-Chief at Children’s Hospital Boston. He was also the Co-Principal Investigator of a research project for the National Institutes of Health, titled ‘Infant Heart Surgery: CNS Sequelae of Circulatory Arrest.
Currently, Dr. Jonas is also working on a number of research projects and clinical trials for the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. His biggest project is a study on the causes of brain injury during reduced flow cardiopulmonary bypass. The goal is to find the safety margin for treating brain injury in children. Dr. Jonas is also working on a clinical trial of hematocrit strategy in infant heart surgery as well as research on mental retardation and developmental disabilities, neurobehavioral sequelae of cardiac surgery and randomized therapeutic trials in pediatric heart disease.
Dr. Jonas has also been a major player in developing international cardiac surgical programs, including ones in Shanghai, China and Iraq. He has written 30 book chapters, 281 journal articles and contributed to four textbooks.
- Chief, Cardiovascular Surgery, Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, DC
- Co-Director, Children’s National Heart Institute
- M.D., University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
- Royal Melbourne Hospital and Royal Children’s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
- Cardiac Surgery, Green Lane Hospital, Auckland, Australia
- Cardiac Surgery, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
- Cardiac Surgery, Children’s Hospital Boston, Boston, Massachusetts
& Admitting Privileges
- Children’s National Medical Center