Medical Advisory Board
Terrence P. O’Brien, M.D.
Before joining the team at the acclaimed Bascom Palmer Eye Institute of the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Dr. Terrence O’Brien served as Director of Ocular Infectious Diseases at The Wilmer Eye Institute of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He was also the founder of the Eye Microbiology Lab at Wilmer Eye Institute.
As an expert in the fields of refractive surgery and ocular infectious diseases, Dr. O’Brien is an internationally renowned physician, researcher, and educator. He has treated many prominent individuals including congressmen, professional athletes and media personalities. Dr. O’Brien is recognized as an exceptional surgeon, with clinical specialties in cataracts and intraocular lens, laser vision correction, corneal and external diseases, ocular infectious diseases and corneal transplant surgery.
Dr. O’Brien’s significant contributions to the field of ophthalmology began in his early 20s when he helped to create several types of antibiotics in eye drop form. Since then, he had led the way as a top researcher in refractive surgery techniques, the avoidance and management of complications of refractive surgery, ocular infectious diseases, ocular microbiology and corneal transplant surgery research. Dr. O’Brien has written many publications, including articles in the Journal of Cataract Refraction Surgery, Ophthalmology, Cornea, and the International Journal of Clinical Ophthalmology. He was the Past President of the Ocular Microbiology & Immunology Group, on the Executive Boards of the International Conference of Eye Infections, and an active member of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology and the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons. Additionally, Dr. O’Brien is senior assistant editor of the esteemed Journal of Refractive Surgery and past Editor-In-Chief of Contemporary Ophthalmology.
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicin
- Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
- Charlotte Breyer Rodgers Distinguished Chair in Ophthalmology
- Director, Refractive Surgerye Service
- M.D., University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1985
- Ophthalmology, The Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, 1989
- Ophthalmology, Corneal and External Disease, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, 1990
- American Board of Ophthalmology
& Admitting Privileges
- University of Miami Health System