Medical Advisory Board
Richard J. Hawkins, M.D.
Dr. Richard J. Hawkins is a licensed, board-certified orthopedic surgeon who is widely recognized as one of the top shoulder surgeons in the world. He is a founding member and past president of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons society. Dr. Hawkins specializes in shoulder, elbow and knee reconstructive surgery and sports medicine. He is a professor of clinical orthopedic surgery at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine and co-founder of the Steadman Hawkins Clinic, along with his colleague, Dr. J. Richard Steadman. He is also a former team physician for the Denver Broncos and the Colorado Rockies.
Dr. Hawkins has published over 200 articles in peer-reviewed medical journals, seven textbooks on shoulder surgery, and presented more than 500 lectures at both national and international meetings. He sits on the editorial board of many orthopedic journals and is a member of many committees including the Council on Education for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS). Dr. Hawkins is the program director for the
- Professor of Clinical Orthopaedic Surgery, University of South Carolina
- Former Team Physician, Denver Broncos
- Former Team Physician, Colorado Rockies
- Co-Founder, Steadman Hawkins Clinic Vail, Colorado
- Principal Partner, Steadman Hawkins Clinic of CarolinasSpartanburg, South Carolina
- M.D., University of Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada, 1969
- Orthopaedic Surgery, Victoria Hospital, University of Western Ontario, Ontario, Canada
- Orthopedic Surgery; Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York
- Orthopedic Surgery; Knee Reconstructive Surgery, New York, New York
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Geriatrics
& Admitting Privileges
- Greenville Hospital System